Asbestos Roof Repair Methods
Important: Only Liquasil approved Installers can provide our product warranties.
No warranties can be provided for any products supplied to any company, contractor or individual that has not undertaken our training.
A product warranty is NOT a roof warranty.
Nothing on this web site constitutes professional advice.
We strongly recommend that only Liquasil Approved Installers are used to install our products.
Some Liquasil repair products can be used to carry out minor asbestos roof repair works and we make these available to order over the telephone for delivery.
Our full roof coating products are professional grade and are not available for sale to the public.
Our approved contractors do NOT carry out patch repairs as it is uneconomical for them to do so.
How To Repair small cracks in asbestos roof or cladding panels.
- First, gently clean around the crack using plenty of water and a brush (not wire). Allow to dry.
- Brush apply Liquasil Non-Sag Sealer over and around the crack, ensuring that it is completely covering the crack. Brush down or knife-off excess product.
- Asbestos roofs often leak around the bolt fixings. To repair, just paint on Liquasil Non-Sag Sealer – problem gone!
Coverage rates for Non-Sag Sealer will vary depend on the size of the gaps / cracks it’s being used on.
How to repair larger holes in asbestos cement roof or cladding panels.
This method is suitable for repairing holes up to 100mm in diameter. Larger holes will probably require a DR sheet* installing, which is not a DIY job.
- Clean area around the crack or hole using plenty of water and a brush. Allow to dry.
- Apply a generous coat of Liquasil ONE around the hole. Extend this approximately 200mm around the hole.
- Apply a layer of polyester fleece over the hole and press down firmly with a roller (wallpaper rollers are ideal) into the coating until the product begins to bleed through.
- Apply a further coat of Liquasil ONE over the fleece and overlap the edges with a generous coating.
* DR Sheets should not be used in long runs because they are not vapour permeable and can cause severe condensation problems.
How to patch repair a broken asbestos cladding sheet
It is not recommended for roof repair because in all likelihood, if a larger piece of a sheet falls off, it will have smashed on impact with the floor.
- Clean off dirt and other surface contamination from the cladding sheet and the broken section.
- Apply Liquasil ONE to the area around the hole and the entire broken piece.
- Hold the broken piece back in position and apply fleece over the top of the hole and coat with a further coat of Liquasil ONE.
Coverage rates for Liquasil ONE is 0.75 sq metres per litre when used with fleece as two coats are required.
Permanent Asbestos Roof Repair
If you wish to permanently repair an asbestos cement roof, you first need to clean it thoroughly.
This should only be attempted if you have proper access equipment and are familiar with working on asbestos cement roofs.
You should never walk on an asbestos cement roof because they are very fragile and give no notice when they are about to break. Falls are sudden, immediate and can result in serious injury or death, even from relatively small heights.
Once cleaned, the recommended process for using our products is as follows:
- Treat every metal fixing with Liquasil Corrosion Primer. This stops rust and prevents further rusting.
- Brush Liquasil Non-Sag Sealer onto and around every fixing to stop leaks from elongated holes that occur with age.
- Brush Liquasil Non-Sag Sealer into any cracks and holes up to 10mm wide to provide a permanent repair.
- Brush apply Asbestoseal 20 directly to the top of the roof sheets.
Once treated in this way, the asbestos cement roof will be water repellent and totally resistant to moss and lichen growth.
Coverage of Asbestoseal 20 is approx. 3 square metres per litre. Available in 5 or 20 litre drums.
Corrugation of the roof panel will add approximately 20% to the total area – please bear this in mind if ordering product.
Asbestoseal 20 is available only through Liquasil Approved Installers
We strongly recommend that any asbestos roof repair jobs are carried out by competent people with the correct health and safety equipment and training.
For larger projects involving complete refurbishment of an asbestos roof, we further recommend that the project is formally managed by a contract administrator familiar with this type of roof.
Saving money by self-managing an asbestos roof repair is a false economy and could, in the unfortunate event of an accident, result in a criminal prosecution.